Food & Water Watch champions healthy food and clean water for all. We stand up to corporations that put profits before people, and advocate for a democracy that improves people’s lives and protects our environment.
We are working to create a healthy future for our families and for generations to come—a world where all people have the resources they need, including wholesome food, clean water and sustainable energy. Making this happen requires organizing people from all over the country to build a large movement with the political power to make our democratic process work. Large numbers of people are a countervailing force to corporations “buying” public policy.
Independence. We are a public interest organization that remains independent of corporate and government influence. We are funded fully through our members, individual donors, and foundation grants.
Democracy. We engage and mobilize citizens politically through person-to-person, on-the-ground organizing, educational campaigns and new media technologies. We believe political involvement is critical for holding governments accountable to their constituents and for creating policies that ensure a sustainable world with safe food and clean water.
Human Rights. Although food and water are human rights, the political will to ensure that all people have adequate nutrition and drinking water is lacking. We are part of the growing global movement fighting this injustice.
Sustainability. We believe in a sustainable future — one that ensures access to essential resources for future generations while protecting the quality of our environment.
Our History & Impact
In Fall 2005, 12 members of the Energy and Environment Program at the advocacy organization Public Citizen created Food & Water Watch. Our goal was to help build a powerful grassroots movement that can protect our most important resources. Since then, with the support of our membership, individual donors and foundations, we have grown to more than 100 staff members and have offices around the country.
In the last ten years, with the help of our generous supporters and committed activists, we’ve accomplished the following:
- As the first national organization to call for an all-out ban on fracking, our work was key to building momentum to fight back against the oil and gas industry. We supported the grassroots movement to protect our drinking water and environment from fracking with research and initiated the formation of the national coalition, American Against Fracking.
- With allies, we initiated the formation of leading state based coalitions, fighting fracking and related infrastructure on the front lines in New York, California, Pennsylvania, Colorado, New Jersey, Maryland, Florida and elsewhere.
- Our affiliate Food & Water Europe helped allies there to convince Members of the European Parliament to vote in favor of an immediate moratorium on fracking.
- We worked with the international water justice movement to win a resolution at the United Nations recognizing the human right to water; our affiliate Food & Water Europe successfully campaigned with allies to win support from the European Parliament to consider water as a common good and to implement the human right to water in Europe.
- We helped dozens of communities organize across the country stop the corporate takeover of their publicly owned water systems
- We defended consumers’ right to know what they’re eating by fighting for mandatory country-of-origin labeling and ensured that technologies like food irradiation continue to be labeled
- We worked with grassroots allies in creating a national movement to label GMO foods.
- We’ve raised awareness nationwide about the environmental, health and equity problems with the bottled water industry.
Learn more about our victories.
In order to work closely with grassroots groups, our organizers are located in offices across the United States, and we have staff in Latin America and the European Union (where we are known as Food & Water Europe.)
We have experience developing winning political strategies, running successful on-the-ground campaigns, and speaking as experts to decision-makers and the media to meet our goals to protect people around the world from threats to our food and water. Read our staff bios.
Food & Water Watch is supported by its membership, individual donors, and foundations interested in carrying out a progressive agenda for food and water in the United States and abroad. We take no money from corporations or governments. Learn how you can become a supporter.
Work locally, make a difference.
Connect with a local campaign and get active in your community.