We always try to stop laws that threaten the safety of our food and water before they’re passed. But when bad laws are already on the books, or when decision makers try to reshape our laws to benefit a handful of corporations, our Food & Water Justice team is there to stop them.
Our lawyers stand on the side of people and the environment, using the courts to shine a light on corporate abuses and hold government officials accountable to protect our access to healthy food and clean water.
Our legal team:
- Challenges bad laws
- Uses the Freedom of Information Act to expose how big corporations are manipulating our food system or polluting our environment
- Supports communities who are standing up against polluting practices by massive, powerful food corporations
- Makes sure agencies enforce existing laws and regulate the industries they’re required to regulate, like making EPA hold factory farms responsible for pollution under the Clean Water Act
- Defends laws that serve the public interest against corporate attempts to gut them
- Helps communities sue to protect themselves from private water companies, fracking, oil and gas pipelines, factory farm pollution, and more
Individuals and communities often feel like corporations have all the power. We help them stand up and protect themselves when corporations try to take advantage of them.