Too many people across the country can’t wash their hands because their water service is turned off. This endangers all of us, especially when the most widely endorsed strategy to prevent or manage the coronavirus (COVID-19) is to wash our hands frequently.
Water must be turned on for everyone, right now, for the safety of the entire country. That’s why we’re pushing both Congress in their stimulus package and Governors at the state level — demanding that they stop all water shutoffs and enact long-term solutions that will ensure our water systems are funded.
This emergency has proven one thing: Withholding water costs lives and it’s time our representatives stepped up to protect us.
We Can Stop Water Shutoffs Amid this Pandemic
By taking action you can be a part of the amazing response from people all across the US demanding water shutoffs in their state and around the country. We’ve:
- Stopped water shutoffs in 13 states and DC.
- Helped 624 local jurisdictions suspend all water shutoffs for nonpayment,
- Protected 203 million Americans - that’s 62% of the U.S. population.
- Found that the top 10 cities with the most water shutoffs, as found in our national survey conducted in 2018, are now among the places that have paused shutoffs.
- Coordinated with 80 members of congress joined our movement and released a letter (headlined by Rep. Brenda Lawrence) demanding federal action on water.
- Joined more than 230 environmental, social justice, labor, and religious organizations from across the country sending a sister a letter echoing the demands.
- Worked with more than 830 groups to send a letter to Congress also pushing for federal action on water, along with protections for electricity and broadband connectivity access.
You can check to see every city, state, and utility that has taken action to provide water for all on our public spreadsheet with live updates.
States That Are Showing The Nation How It's Done
Some states have been responding faster than others. Here’s are some of the top grassroots movements that have formed to push for water justice during the pandemic:
Washington State: Governor Inslee does the right thing in Washington state.
Pennsylvania: Governor Wolf must stop water shutoffs in Pennsylvania.
Read About Suspending Water Shutoffs To Fight Coronavirus
Here is more of our analysis around the need for an immediate suspension of water shutoffs.
Other Ways To Help Protect Water
Our efforts are starting to work, but we need to keep pushing. Consider becoming a monthly donor to support fights like this one. We need your help to keep pushing!