- Washington D.C.
The Web Developer is responsible for developing and managing Food and Water Action’s (FWA) web infrastructure (including websites and servers) and optimizing FWA sites for technical performance and user impact.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, evaluate, and execute organizational web strategies.
- Develop efficient, maintainable, scalable, and secure front-end systems using WordPress and other tools.
- Develop content-focused WordPress sites with an emphasis on clarity, user functionality, performance, and security.
- Develop and modify responsive, standards-compliant HTML and CSS3 themes and plug-ins for WordPress.
- Conduct cross-browser and cross-device testing to ensure optimal and consistent display in major supported browsers on Mac, PC, iOS and Android platforms.
- Collaborate with FWA team members to develop compelling web content.
- Collaborate with FWA team members to develop and implement best practices for search engine optimization (SEO) techniques and train FWA staff on SEO techniques.
- Translate FWA’s organizational needs and requests from FWA team members into technical requirements and content structures.
- Evaluate designs, wireframes, and functional requests to identify and respond appropriately to potential development issues.
- Advise FWA staff on the technical viability of functional requests and designs.
- Produce thorough time, complexity, and capabilities estimates for potential web projects.
- Maintain regular communication with FWA colleagues around scheduling and scope of web projects.
- Communicate accurately and clearly about web development issues, acting as a technical expert across FWA departments.
- Maintain website content backup systems.
- Administer and maintain security on all web servers.
- Be creative and take initiative to propose and develop new ways FWA can use technology to speak to our members.
- Carry out other projects, as assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field. Equivalent work experience and/or recognized industry certifications will be considered. Five or more years of experience working with WordPress onproduction applications, including an understanding of MySQL, core WordPress functions, custom post types, custom themes/plugins, integration best practices, and security best practices
- Basic knowledge of Drupal (to assist in content migration from legacy pages).
- Knowledge of Linux Server Administration.
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS, including deep understanding of web standards and responsive design techniques.
- Experience with UI/UX management.
- Skill in debugging and troubleshooting web designs and applications.
- Ability to use Photoshop and other modern design software to assist with theme creation.
- Ability to implement accessibility compliance standards of Section 508 Amendment to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and/or WCAG 2.0 standards.
- Knowledge of a variety of CMS platforms.
Compensation: Annualized salary of $61700.00 - 87600.00, dependent upon experience.
Click here to apply. Please include your resume, cover letter and three professional references to be considered.
We will review your application and if we feel that your knowledge, skills and abilities are potentially a good match for our organization, we will be in contact with you. Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and individuals with disabilities to apply.