- Washington D.C.
We are seeking an organizer based in Newburgh to focus on our long-standing campaign to stop fracked gas infrastructure projects, with a particular focus on stopping the construction of the proposed Danskammer fracked gas power plant in the town of Newburgh. The organizer will help build an ambitious grassroots campaign urging the governor to deny the plant. The organizer will be responsible for:
- Building a local local grassroots volunteer infrastructure in opposition to the project:
- Recruit new activists by canvassing and phone-banking.
- Train and develop activist leaders on the campaign.
- Maintain campaign data
- Develop volunteer roles that will advance our campaign strategy and build volunteers’ investment in the broader campaign against the construction of all new fossil fuel projects.
- Represent Food & Water Watch at public events and with local media
- Work with and maintain close relationships with coalition partners working to stop the power plant.
- Other duties as required
This position is based in Newburgh.
- Knowledge: Basic background knowledge of climate change
- Skills: Grassroots organizing skills, including: volunteer recruitment and leadership development; excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal skills; excellent organizational and planning skills; ability to work independently or in teams as required.
- Capabilities: Proven ability to develop and implement campaign timelines; ability to work well with a wide variety of people to coordinate tasks; ability to present key campaign messages to a wide audience; commitment to justice-oriented work; ability to work well under pressure and under tight deadlines; ability to handle multiple tasks at once and to adapt to changing situations.
Desired but not required skills:
- Experience using web-based organizing tools including mass emailing tools, Salesforce (or similar database tools), peer-to-peer texting tools, autodialers
- Experience in Newburgh and/or the surrounding area
- Knowledge of the political landscape in New York statewide and Orange County more specifically
To apply for this position, please click Apply Here.