- California - Oakland
Over the past few years, we have expanded our California program to tackle some of the biggest challenges facing our food, water, and energy security. We’ve worked with various communities to defeat fracking and oil drilling projects in six California counties, and we’ve built grassroots power to protect water as a public resource and oppose wasteful privatization projects. We are also expanding our work to move off dirty fossil fuels and move to 100% renewable energy.
We are seeking an organizer to be based in our Oakland, California office.
About Food & Water Watch
Food & Water Watch is a leading national advocacy organization that runs dynamic and cutting-edge campaigns in support of clean water, healthy food, and a livable climate for all. We challenge the corporate control and abuse of our food, water, and common resources through various issue campaigns.
Nationally, Food & Water Watch has had several major victories including banning fracking in New York and Maryland, stopping over half a dozen major fossil fuel infrastructure projects, preventing water privatization in 40 communities, and working with to introduce strong climate and water legislation in Congress.
- Develop and implement long and short-term campaign and organizing goals, strategies and tactics for local, state, and federal campaign priorities.
- Work with Communications and Policy Staff to develop and implement media strategies including print, radio, TV, and social media. Draft opinion pieces, letters to the editor, and blog posts.
- Speak at public events, forums, and other venues, and serve as a representative of Food & Water Watch to the public and the media.
- Develop on-line action alerts to engage our activists on key issues in the region and to pressure members of Congress in Northern California on federal priorities
- Recruit, supervise, and develop volunteers and interns
- Increase Food & Water Watch’s impact by expanding our membership base
- Work and assist Development staff on maintaining donor relationships.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: College degree preferred.
- Experience and accomplishments: At least 3 years of successful advocacy or grassroots organizing experience.
- Documented success in planning and implementing short- and long-term strategic campaigns and organizational goals.
- Knowledge of public interest campaigns, including grassroots organizing strategies and advocacy techniques.
- Strategic thinker as evidenced through previous organizing campaigns and successes.
- Experience working with grassroots organizations.
- Clear written and oral communication skills with ability to work with remote staff.
- Ability to manage time with competing priorities.
- High energy and enthusiasm.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and general social media.
- Familiarity with constituent relationship management (CRM) databases and online organizing software and strategies.
- Familiarity with California water, climate, and energy policy, the CA legislature; and California politics.
Salary dependent on experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer paid medical/dental/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and people with disabilities to apply.