- California - Oakland
Food & Water Watch is a leading national advocacy organization that runs cutting edge organizing campaigns to ban fracking, ensure safe drinking water for all and challenge the corporate control and abuse of our food, water and democracy. In this time of unprecedented threats to our environment and our democracy, we are looking for an organizer to join our team in using creative digital strategies to educate and engage supporters, build a network of activists, pressure strategic campaign targets, fundraise, and build long term political power.
At Food & Water Watch, we believe in fighting for the fundamental changes necessary to protect our environment and our democracy for future generations. We must be bold and visionary and not settle for what others say is politically expedient. We must work with grassroots partners to mobilize people to pressure decision makers to represent the interests of their constituents, not large corporate interests. Its how we have won major organizational victories like a ban on fracking in New York, defeated water privatization in dozens of communities across the country, stopped the use of arsenic in factory farms raising chickens, among other things. And, it is how we are going to resist current threats and rebuild our water infrastructure, food and energy systems, and our democracy.
Over the past few years, we have expanded our California program to tackle some of the biggest challenges facing our food, water, and energy security. We’ve worked with various communities to defeat fracking and oil drilling projects, and we’ve built grassroots power to protect water as a public resource and oppose wasteful privatization projects. We are also expanding our work to get off dirty fossil fuels and move to 100% renewable energy.
We are seeking an organizer to be based in our Oakland, California office. Under the direction of the California Director, the organizer will plan and implement campaigns, oversee and recruit volunteers, and assist with fundraising.
- Develop and implement long and short-term campaign and organizing goals, strategies and tactics.
- Work with Communications and Policy Staff to develop and implement media strategies including print, radio, TV, and social media. Draft opinion pieces, letters to the editor, and blog posts.
- Speak at public events, forums, and other venues, and serve as a representative of Food & Water Watch to the public and the media.
- Develop on-line action alerts to engage our activists on key issues in the region.
- Recruit, supervise, and develop volunteers and interns.
- Increase Food & Water Watch’s impact by expanding our membership base.
- Work and assist Development staff on maintaining donor relationships.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: College degree preferred.
- Experience and accomplishments: At least 2 years of successful advocacy or grassroots organizing experience. Prior experience organizing in POC communities a plus.
- Documented success in planning and implementing short- and long-term strategic campaigns and organizational goals.
- Knowledge of public interest campaigns, including grassroots organizing strategies and advocacy techniques.
- Strategic thinker as evidenced through previous organizing campaigns and successes.
- Applicant must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
Competitive salary, dependent on experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid medical/dental/vision/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave.
Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and differently-abled people to apply. Click here to submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample and three references.