- California - Los Angeles
In California, we have been a driving force behind the growing movement to ban fracking, shut down drilling, power plants and other fossil fuel infrastructure, and move off of fossil fuels and onto 100% renewable energy. Our California team of seven organizers works out of four offices in Oakland, Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles. With Los Angeles being the hub of our largest regional campaign and a critical power base in the state, this position will be based there. This position reports to the Organizing Director.
- Oversees the development and implementation of long- and short-term campaign and organizing goals, strategies and tactics for local, state and federal campaign priorities in California.
- Supervises and mentors organizing staff and ensures that individual performance goals are met.
- Serves as Food & Water Watch representative on statewide coalition, manages relationships with statewide leaders and elected officials.
- Supervises contract lobbyist in Sacramento and leads the development of our legislative strategy.
- In consultation with the development department, plays a key role in developing a California fundraising strategy, which includes identifying potential foundations and high-donors, writing grants and soliciting donations.
- Coordinates with the Creative Strategy and Engagement Department in creating a compelling narrative for on-line donors and activists that tells the story of our work in California.
- Works as part of the national Organizing Department Management Team and leads regional meetings and strategy sessions.
- Works with Organizing Director, Communications and Policy staff to develop media strategies, including print, radio, TV, and social media. Drafts opinion pieces, letters to the editor, and blog posts.
- Speaks at public events, forums, and other venues, and serves as a representative of Food & Water Watch to the public and the media.
- Increases Food & Water Watch’s impact by expanding our membership base, seeking new coalition partners, and building our staff.
- Periodic travel within California and to Washington, DC.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 10 years of successful advocacy or grassroots organizing experience.
- At least 5 years of successful staff management experience
- Significant knowledge of California politics and legislature
- Documented success in planning and implementing short- and long-term strategic campaigns and organizational goals.
- Knowledge of public interest campaigns, including grassroots organizing strategies and advocacy techniques.
- Strategic thinker as evidenced through previous organizing campaigns and successes.
- Experience working with grassroots organizations.
- Clear written and oral communication skills with ability to work with remote staff.
- Ability to manage time with competing priorities.
- High energy and enthusiasm.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and general social media.
Desired but not required skills:
- Familiarity with constituent relationship management (CRM) databases and online organizing software and strategies.
- Familiarity with California water, climate, and energy policy.
- Significant fundraising experience.
- Bilingual, in English & Spanish, a plus
- College degree
Compensation: Salary dependent on experience.
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer paid medical/dental/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave.
How To Apply
Please include your resume, cover letter and three professional references to be considered. Apply here.
We will review your application and if we feel that your knowledge, skills and abilities are potentially a good match for our organization, we will be in contact with you. Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and persons with disabilities to apply.