Contact Email: [email protected]
Post Date: 08.09.21
Job Type: Full-time
Office Location: Remote
Food & Water Watch is hiring a Regional Organizer to move forward our national climate campaigns, along with other campaign priorities.
The Organizer will report to the National Organizing Manager and will work collaboratively with other organizing staff, communications, research, and policy staff to support FWW’s campaigns. The Organizer will also work closely with allied organizations and volunteers in target Congressional districts. This position will require flexibility and adaptability as campaign and political circumstances shift. A successful candidate will have excellent communication skills and have demonstrated experience building trust and accountability across differences. This is a bargaining unit position.
Office Location: This position is approved for remote work, with a preference for Illinois or Michigan-based candidates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build a strong base of organizations and individuals in support of our campaigns, with a particular emphasis on pressuring Members of Congress to oppose fossil fuels and support bold climate solutions.
- Work with a team to develop strategic campaign plans including long- and short-term goals, strategies and tactics.
- Work closely with FWW staff and partner organizations to develop and implement joint strategies.
- Participate in coalitions on campaign issues and implement grassroots organizing and public education campaigns.
- Speak at public events, forums, and other venues, and serves as a representative of Food & Water Watch/Action to the public and the media.
- Assist in building the capacity and leadership of volunteers and allied grassroots organizations by offering training and organizing support.
- Maintain familiarity with a diverse set of issues, research products, and FWW’s suite of digital organizing tools, and respond to information and support requests from activists, coalition members, and the media.
- Develop educational materials such as factsheets, action alerts, web site content and newsletter articles on campaign issues.
- Participate and/or develop non-partisan electoral strategies and tactics for either/both Food and Water Watch (c3) and Food and Water Action (c4).
- Regularly report on work to supervisors and donors.
- Maintain accurate records in our database of supporter activities, volunteers, allies, and coalitions.
- Participate in membership recruitment and fundraising for Food & Water Watch/Action.
To perform this job successfully, the person in this position is expected to have a complete understanding of FWW’s Strategic Organizing model and an ability to develop campaign strategy. The Organizer will be expected to work closely with volunteers and allied organizations to ensure campaigns are moving forward to achieve FWW’s programmatic goals.
- At least one (1) year of full-time experience organizing, and a clear demonstration of ability to develop effective organizing strategies.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, climate and environmental justice.
- Experience working effectively with colleagues, volunteers, and organizational allies with a wide range of goals, perspectives, and backgrounds.
- Ability to gather and analyze information skillfully, and to identify and navigate challenges in a timely manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Strong organizational skills, and an ability to balance short-term priorities with long-term goals and strategies.
- Experience organizing in-district to influence specific Members of Congress.
- Experience using digital organizing and outreach tools, including but not limited to ThruText, Hubdialer, Action Network, or Mobilize.
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteers remotely.
- Experience drafting press materials, talking to reporters, and giving interviews.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will regularly be required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and use their hands.
- Some local, regional and national travel will be required, pending public health restrictions.
- An individual should be able to work in a computerized environment and have adequate knowledge of word processing, email, internet and spreadsheet software.
- The work environment is typical of an office setting.
- Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
Click here to apply. Please include your resume, cover letter and three professional references to be considered.
We will review your application and if we feel that your knowledge, skills and abilities are potentially a good match for our organization, we will be in contact with you. Please include a Cover Letter with your submission. Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Food & Water Watch (FWW) strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
Food & Water Watch (FWW) is committed to the health and safety of its staff members. Moreover, FWW, as an organization, promotes science-based policy. Science clearly shows that unvaccinated populations drive the spread of the coronavirus and the emergence of new variants, and that unvaccinated people are more likely to contract COVID and experience severe symptoms. Effective immediately, prospective new staff members are required to provide proof of vaccination or request a waiver as a condition of their offer of employment.
This is a grant-funded position. As such, the position is contingent upon continued funding from the grantor for the term of employment. Should the grantor fail to fund this position or rescind its sponsorship during the term of employment, Food & Water Watch may eliminate the position.
Help us fix the broken systems that threaten natural resources and stand up against corporate control.
Submit your résumé today!