Contact Email: [email protected]
Post Date: 03.8.21
Job Type: Employee
- Washington D.C.
- California – Los Angeles
- New York
Reporting to the Director of Individual Philanthropy and working closely with Senior Leadership, the Assistant Director of Individual Philanthropy plays a key role on our national major giving team. This position is responsible for the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major donors ($2,500+ annually), and also in playing a leadership role in managing the mid-level donor program. The Assistant Director of Individual Philanthropy is instrumental in establishing, implementing and promoting the goals of Food & Water Watch, raising funds and cultivating relationships with significant prospects and donors. The Assistant Director of Individual Philanthropy travels or conducts donor visits through in-person, phone and virtual calls up to 50 percent of the time. This position is also responsible for playing a leadership role in managing projects outside of donor portfolio and mid-level program; may include donor communications, events or other special projects that support development team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Director of Individual Philanthropy to manage the major gifts, mid-level, planned giving and special events program.
- Manage a portfolio of 75 to 125 major giving prospects with annual gifts of $2,500 and above. Provide consistent cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship through personal visits, telephone calls, written proposals and other communications.
- Oversee and manage mid-level giving program, supervising annual gifts of between $500 and $2,499 in coordination with Manager of Individual Philanthropy. Develop digital and mail strategies.
- Oversee prospect review, research, and moves management processes to ensure appropriate and timely placement of donors on portfolios. Identify prospects and perform baseline prospect research, work with the Prospect Research and Portfolio Coordinator to qualify potential major donors as necessary.
- Establish and maintain a donor cultivation cycle and gift stewardship program to ensure that new major donors are developed, have opportunities to increase their level of support annually, and enjoy a close relationship to the organization.
- Prepare written materials for individual donors, including correspondence, solicitation materials, acknowledgements, and reports as part of the stewardship program.
- Coordinate and create a plan for major gifts’ cultivation and recognition events in collaboration with fellow major gifts team members and special events manager.
- Maintain a working knowledge of Food & Water Watch national campaign priorities, with specific attention paid to efforts in relevant areas.
- Work with Director of Individual Philanthropy to establish budget goals and strategies to reach them. Provide regular analysis and reporting on progress toward goals.
- Supervise at least two direct reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Support Our Culture of Philanthropy: Demonstrate an understanding of the essential role of our members and supporters, and consistently serve as an ambassador for FWW/FWA and our work. Participate in or attend events and other activities as appropriate that are organized for our supporters and donors. Be cognizant of fundraising opportunities and share contacts and information that will help build and sustain FWW/FWA.
To perform this job successfully, the person in this position has a high degree of contact with donors and prospects; a high degree of contact with Managing Directors and other staff; and a high degree of contact with non-development related activities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s Degree (BA, BS, etc.) and a minimum five years major gifts and mid-level fundraising experience, preferably within a political or advocacy environment. At least two years of direct management experience. Demonstrated success personally soliciting gifts at the five-figure level and above. A track record of portfolio management meeting yearly solicitation goals. Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with FWW leadership and staff, prospects and donors. Excellent organizational skills and successful experience managing events and other complex activities in support of development initiatives. Highly developed verbal and written communication skills and the ability to make effective presentations to small and large groups. Ability to exercise good judgment, to demonstrate an understanding of ethics related to development activities and to use discretion in interactions with donors, prospects and others. Ability to conduct research and assemble data, analyze information, and prepare effective, accurate and timely reports and other documents to support development activities.
Computer Skills: An individual should be able to work in a computerized environment and have adequate knowledge of word processing, email, internet and spreadsheet software; in particular adequate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point and proficiency with all other Microsoft Office products; have adequate knowledge of working with CRM, in particular proficiency with Salesforce.
Click here to apply. Please include your resume, cover letter and three professional references to be considered.
Compensation: Annualized at $93,900 – $117,400 (may vary based on labor market) and based upon education and experience.
We will review your application and if we feel that your knowledge, skills and abilities are potentially a good match for our organization, we will be in contact with you. Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
Help us fix our broken systems and stand up against corporate control. Submit your résumé today!