Summer Grassroots Organizing & Advocacy Internship – Multiple Locations
We are currently seeking summer interns interested in fighting for safe food, clean water, and healthy oceans. This position is full-time, and will run for 10 weeks. Summer interns receive a small stipend. Current student standing is not necessary. We are seeking interns in: Washington, DC; Portland, OR; San Francisco, CA; Durham, NC; Los Angeles, CA; Des Moines, IA; Chicago, IL; Detroit, MI; New Brunswick, NJ; Brooklyn, NY; Denver, CO; Albuquerque, NM; Fort Lauderdale, FL; Cincinnati, OH; Philadelphia, PA, and Portland, ME.
We work to protect water as a public resource rather than a commodity sold to the highest bidder, covering issues related to water privatization, state water policy, and exposing the myths and dangers of bottled water. We also work to stop factory fish farming and promote safe and sustainable food. Interns will have the benefit of learning critical research, grassroots organizing and advocacy skills from experienced staff.
Responsibilities may include:
- Building strategic coalitions with religious groups, labor groups, elected officials, citizen activists, businesses and students
- Coordinating campaign events to engage citizens and pressure targets
- Represent Food & Water Watch and recruit new activists at community meetings, festivals, and other events
- Assisting in media outreach to educate millions of people
- Producing printed and online materials such as action alerts, newsletters, and activist guides
- Researching emerging issues to move campaigns forward
- Bottom-lining at least one element of the campaign
- Maintain strong records of work and assist with database development
- Hold regular office hours and participate in weekly meetings with Organizing staff
Strong interest in Food & Water Watch issues and commitment to social change. Strong verbal and written communication and time management skills. Desire to develop campaign organizing skills.
How to Apply:
Please email a tailored cover letter, resume, and writing sample to [email protected] (Subject: Summer [location] Organizing Internship, i.e. “Summer Iowa City Organizing Internship”)
To ensure that applications are sent to the correct office, please be sure to indicate in your cover letter that you are interested in the Summer [location] Organizing Internship.