Grassroots Online Organizing & Outreach Internship
Food & Water Watch is a leading consumer advocacy organization that runs dynamic, cutting edge campaigns that challenge the corporate control and abuse of our food and water resources, empower people to take action and transform the public consciousness about what we eat and drink. Since 2005, we have won significant victories to protect our food and water. Our work has been featured in the New York Times, the Washington Post and other major media outlets. For more information check out our website at www.foodandwaterwatch.org.
We are currently seeking interns to work in our offices in Washington, DC and San Francisco, CA. Interns will have the benefit of learning critical research, grassroots organizing and advocacy skills from experienced staff. Internships are available in our collegial office environment during any of the following terms.
Spring / Fall: This position may be full- or part-time (~15 hours per week minimum). Spring dates are January-May. Fall term dates are September – December.
Summer: This position is full-time and runs for 10 weeks during May-August. We offer both paid and unpaid internships.
We work to protect water as a public resource rather than a commodity sold to the highest bidder, covering issues related to water privatization, state water policy, and exposing the myths and dangers of bottled water. We also work to stop factory fish farming and promote safe and sustainable food.
Responsibilities may include:
- Building strategic coalitions with religious groups, labor groups, elected officials, citizen activists, businesses and students.
- Coordinating campaign events to engage citizens and pressure targets.
- Represent Food & Water Watch and recruit new activists at community meetings, festivals, and other events.
- Assisting in media outreach to educate millions of people.
- Producing printed and online materials such as action alerts, newsletters, and activist guides.
- Researching emerging issues to move campaigns forward.
- Bottom-lining at least one element of the campaign.
- Maintain strong records of work and assist with database development.
- Hold regular office hours and participate in weekly meetings with Organizing and Outreach staff.
- Strong interest in Food & Water Watch issues and commitment to social change.
- Strong verbal and written communication and time management skills.
- Desire to develop campaign organizing skills.
- Internships are typically a minimum of 10 weeks; full-time and part-time opportunities available.
How to Apply
Please email a tailored cover letter, resume, short writing sample and availability to Food & Water Watch [email protected], fax to (202) 683-2446, or mail to:
Food & Water Watch
Attn: Intern Coordinator
1616 P St NW
Washington, DC 20036
Please indicate in the cover letter that you are interested in the Organizing internship, what term you are applying for, and your preferred location. Please also indicate your availability including start date and end date, hours per day and days per week.