Why Tap Water Is Better Than Bottled Water
- Bottled water is not safer than tap water. In fact, more than half of all bottled water comes from the tap.
- Buying bottled water is like pouring money down the drain. Bottled water costs from $0.89 per gallon to $8.26 per gallon, compared to fractions of a penny for water from your tap. That makes bottled water thousands of times more expensive than tap water.
- Water bottle garbage is a major source of pollution.
- Buying a reusable bottle is an easy way to save money and help the environment.
Is My Tap Water Safe?
FACT: Bottled Water is Not Safer Than Tap Water
Did you know that tap water is tested more frequently than bottled water? In fact, in the United States, our drinking water is continuously monitored and treated according to federal standards. If local tap water is unsafe then water companies are obligated, under federal law, to notify the public.
But My Tap Water Tastes Bad, What Should I Do?
- Odd tasting water does not necessarily mean that it is unhealthy or contaminated. The taste may be a result of chlorination or the mineral content in the water.
- Using a filter is an easy way to keep your water tasting great – and it’s much less expensive than buying bottled water.
How To Check Your Tap Water Quality
Contact your local water company to request a copy of the Annual Water Quality Report, also known as the Consumer Confidence Report. These reports are intended to help people make informed choices about their drinking water. These reports contain a lot of useful information but are often overwhelming or confusing to read. We’ve put together a helpful guide on how to read your report and choose the best filtration system for your home.