The Online Campaign Organizer works to develop and implement online organizing campaigns, to build Food & Water Watch’s capacity, and increase our online to offline actions. We’re looking for someone with experience and a vision for using online tools for organizing to join our innovative digital team. This position is preferred to be located in our Oakland, CA office.
- Write, edit, proof and distribute national and regional email advocacy alerts and fundraising emails for Food & Water Watch online activists.
- Develop and implement coordinated strategies for email communications to grow our list of online and offline supporters.
- Increase Food & Water Watch’s membership base by recruiting new members online and managing communication with members.
- Track and analyze metrics related to online action and fundraising efforts.
- Testing and optimization of online tactics to develop data-driven organizational best practices.
- Help manage organizational list growth and acquisition.
- Work with regional organizing teams to develop and coordinate regional and local online organizing strategies and campaigns.
- Work with organizing team to synchronize online organizing with field organizing campaigns.
- Assist in creating online action alerts, web content and other materials needed to implement campaigns.
- Maintain familiarity with a diverse set of issues and respond to information requests from activists, coalition members, and media if necessary.
- Participate in offline campaign activities such as volunteer meetings, events and rallies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: College degree required.
- Experience: At least three years experience in email marketing at a non-profit organization, with a preference for experience in online organizing, online fundraising, or grassroots/field organizing. If the latter, strong knowledge of online organizing tools is a must. Experience using online tools to strengthen offline grassroots campaigns is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge: Strong knowledge of best practices for non-profit online marketing, including email messaging, online advocacy, and online fundraising; familiarity with grassroots organizing and advocacy techniques is strongly preferred; familiarity with legislative campaigns, consumer and environmental issues; knowledge of social media best practices; knowledge of, passion for, and experience with water, food, or public interest issues a strong plus.
- Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills, including online communications; strong interpersonal and planning skills; excellent writing ability; Excellent organizational skills; hands-on experience with eCRM systems, or online activism and email platforms; Experience with Convio Luminate Online is a plus; basic data analysis and knowledge of Excel; experience with HTML and CSS is a plus; ability to create and edit web graphics in Photoshop is desirable.
- Capabilities: Passion for the web and using technology for social good; ability to think on your feet and quickly to respond to legislative developments and to take advantage of breaking news; demonstrated leadership capability; ability to work well with a wide variety of people and to coordinate diverse tasks; ability to present technical concepts to a general audience; can-do attitude and commitment to public interest work; troubleshooting and ability to track down and solve problems; attention to detail; ability to take direction, work well under pressure, and handle multiple tasks at once; sense of humor appreciated.
- Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of Food & Water Watch. Long/irregular hours and travel possible.
Competitive salary, dependent on experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid medical/dental/vision/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave.
How to apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and three references to [email protected] noting “Online Campaign Organizer” in the subject line. Position open until filled. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and differently-abled people to apply.