The Human Resources and Office Assistant will support both the office and HR Manager and will report directly to the HR Manager.
For the office, this individual will be responsible for a wide variety of duties including the reception & conference areas, responding to general FWW inquires, special events, and other tasks to support organizational operations.
This position will also assist the HR Manager with compliance, recruiting, new hire onboarding and administrative responsibilities. This position is located in our downtown DC office with metro access.
- Staff reception station to welcome and assist visitors.
- Responsible for managing incoming communications from Food & Water Watch members via the organization’s central phone line and organizational email accounts.
- Distribute incoming mail, forward mail to off-site locations, receive and route deliveries and handle UPS and courier shipments.
- Assist operations staff with administrative support functions.
- Assist with meeting requests, special event arrangements and logistics, including organizing annual staff meetings.
- Maintain supplies and general orderliness of office space.
- Maintain readily available stock of reports and membership materials and assist with distributing materials to remote offices.
- Provide basic office support.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assist in the recruiting process by posting job and internship positions on employment job boards and local universities. Maintain the FWW career page.
- Reconcile benefits and invoices for accuracy.
- Create employee personnel folders and learn proper maintenance of employee files.
- Serve as point of contact for the internship program orientation.
- Assist the HR manager with employee wellness initiatives.
- Coordinate HR projects (meetings, training, surveys etc.).
- Coordinate new employee set up with IT and logistics departments.
- Assist with day to day operations of the HR department
- Other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required. One year of previous human resources experience or internships strongly preferred. Strong interest in a human resources career a plus.
- Knowledge of basic human resources functions and procedures. Demonstrated interest in food and water issues.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and maintain confidentiality with critical and sensitive information.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and verbal skills are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively and with a pleasant demeanor via phone, email and in person.
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people, under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with close attention to detail.
- Good computer skills are required, including familiarity with database and spreadsheet programs.
- Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of Food & Water Watch.
- Proficiency with Mac software is desired.
Competitive salary, depending upon experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer paid medical/dental/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave.
How to Apply
Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and differently-abled people to apply. Click here to submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample and three references.