Food & Water Watch is a leading national advocacy organization that runs dynamic, cutting edge campaigns challenging the corporate control and abuse of our food and water resources. We work on a wide range of issues impacting our food, water, and common resources. Our top organizing priorities are our campaigns to ban fracking, stop the corporate control and abuse of our food, and champion the human right to safe, clean affordable water.
The Food & Water Watch Activist Network is aimed at creating opportunities for volunteers to launch strategic campaigns on every campus and in every community. The goal of this program is to empower activists by providing the training, strategy support, and resources needed to launch successful campaigns for safe food and clean water.
The Activist Network Organizer will work one-on-one with students and volunteer leaders across the country, facilitate trainings, and assist in cutting edge scalable leadership development efforts using online toolsets. This is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
This position will be based out of our Washington, D.C. office or a FWW field office.
- Working with community volunteers and student leaders across the country on priority campaigns.
- Coordinating activists participating in large-scale organizing tactics such as petition collection and delivery, call-in days, and lobby meetings.
- Using remote tools (phone, video, webinar) to train volunteers in a range of organizing skills including, recruitment, event planning, media and coalition work.
- Coordinating with field organizing and campaign staff on online-to-offline campaign strategy.
- Researching state and city-wide issues and evaluating opportunities for Food & Water Watch to engage in local campaigns.
- Communicating with Food & Water Watch’s Student and Community Activist Networks through email, social media and mobile tools.
- Drafting email communications, surveys and toolkits to engage activists on a large scale.
- Managing the large volume of supporters who contact us over email and who express an interest in our work.
- Building and engaging with Food & Water Watch’s membership base.
- Reporting regularly on local campaign progress.
- Using storytelling to demonstrate the success of our Activist Network to our audiences.
- Holding regular office hours and participating in weekly meetings with Organizing, Online Engagement, and Activist Network teams.
- Education: College degree or equivalent experience required.
- Experience: At least two years of experience in activism or organizing on public interest/environmental issues.
- Knowledge: Organizing, advocacy and the legislative process; consumer and environmental issues; online activism, email listservs, and social media.
- Skills: Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills; excellent planning and organizational skills; demonstrated ability to work with volunteers
- Ability to work well with a wide variety of people and to coordinate a diverse set of campaigns at one time; can-do attitude and commitment to public interest work.
- High level of energy and enthusiasm.
- Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of Food & Water Watch.
- Familiarity with constituent relationship management (CRM) databases and online organizing software and strategies a plus.
- Applicant must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
Competitive salary, depending upon experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer paid medical/dental/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave.
How to Apply
Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and differently-abled people to apply. Click here to submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample and three references.