Walmart Gets an Earful From Activists on National Call-In Day to Stop GE Corn
Walmart’s customer service got so overloaded with calls from Food & Water Watch activists this morning — their phone lines got temporarily shut down. We can see why. In just two hours, activists from the VERY committed Food & Water Watch supporter list got busy calling Walmart — over 900 times in just two hours.
Walmart was able to restore its telephone service and our activists are continuing towards our goal of 2000 calls in this National Call-in Day to fight genetically engineered (GE) sweet corn.
Customer service representatives report that they are getting a lot of calls on this issue. It’s no surprise. People don’t want GE corn. Here’s why:
- Genetically engineered sweet corn will not be labeled, so you won’t know what you’re buying.
- Monsanto’s GE sweet corn hasn’t been tested for human safety.
- Monsanto’s GE sweet corn contains three different genetically engineered traits that have never been used in food eaten directly by people.
- GE corn threatens organic food and farming.
- GE corn production increases the use of dangerous chemicals.
If you’ve already taken action, take a breather — for now. There will be plenty to do in the coming weeks on this important food safety issue. Meanwhile entertain yourself with the antics of Big Box Mama and GE Seed King. It’s not like any Food & Water Watch campaign you’ve seen before.